An Android TV Box, in spite of its size, is a powerful contraption. This is because it can perform a range of functions. Basically, its components are those of a smartphone sans the touchscreen.
You can control it through a remote or a special Bluetooth or USB keyboard and mouse. You can even look at it as a small computer. As its name would suggest, it runs the Android OS (operating system). This OS happens to be the most popular open mobile operating system in the world.
Why have consumers opted for the Android TV box instead of the rest? There are several good reasons even outside its performing features. First of all, the price. It is way cheaper than the competition.
All you need to have is a good quality television for the Android TV Box to perform its smart functionality. It comes at a cheaper price compared with Apple TV, HTPC, and other gaming consoles or devices. The difference in price is really surprising.
The new craze these days in TV entertainment is watching streamed videos. The Android TV box will perfectly serve you with this.
Also, an additional advantage is the Android’s capability to modify or install whatever apps you may desire. The HTPC box also shares the same advantage but with Apple TV, you can only watch programs which they offer.
Furthermore, the Android TV Box allows for many Android games. With it, you can also download other video apps to run on your TV, although there is no guarantee that all will.
The best thing to do is to run apps that designed specifically for the Android TV Box. Don’t worry though, because there are a lot to choose from.
What is Kodi?
Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is a free, multiplatform and an open source media center. It can run on a host of different operating systems like Window, Linux, as a native application on mobile platforms like Android and iOS.
Using Kodi on your Android TV Box or phone is very simple. Enjoy streaming your personal digital media by loading it on your device’s micro SD card. If Kodi is installed on your Android TV, you can simply plug in a USB drive with the digital media on it to stream the media files.
Kodi’s is fully customizable and this is a big attraction for its users. It comes with add-ons that can help you organize your content. With it, you can even watch full episodes of your favorite TV programs. It is incredibly versatile. Kodi can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
Kodi started as a piece of software from the original Xbox. From there, it has developed further. It’s now one of the most versatile home theater software packages. It’s available on all platforms.
With Kodi, you have simpler and easier access to the internet. There seems to be no limits to what the user can watch or access through Kodi.
With Kodi, you can even watch programs illegally. Or in other words, those that are “pirated”. But that should not be a point against Kodi.
After all, pirated programs are readily available with almost all systems. These systems are not locked down with copyright protection. It should be the responsibility of the user that programs watched through Kodi are not illegally procured.
Actually, you don’t even have to consider pirated programs with Kodi. This is because the app itself can provide you with more entertainment that you can imagine. So why bother with illegals? With this point, they just become irrelevant.
How to install Kodi
Installing Kodi is simple. The process is similar for almost all available Android TV Box models. Before you start, you will need a Google account. Create one if you don’t have it. After that, just follow the following steps:
- Check your Android Operation System. It has to be version 5.0 or higher so you can install Kodi.
- Log into Google Play Store and search for Kodi.
- Click on the Kodi icon to download and install. Wait for the installation to finish.
- When it’s done, test Kodi on your Android TV Box.
Another way to install Kodi
Having difficulty installing Kodi on your Android TV device? Don’t worry, there’s another way to do so. If the usual procedure doesn’t work, try this simple steps:
- Go to “Settings” on the Android TV box panel then scroll to “Securities and Restrictions”.
- Choose “Unknown Sources”. This will allow for the installation of apps outside of the Google Play Store.
- Go to the Kodi download page. From there, download Kodi for Android.
- Copy the downloaded file to the Google drive or a USB drive and plug it into your Android TV box.
- Navigate to where you saved the file using any file management app.
- Open the file to install Kodi.
- When it’s done, Kodi will now be on your Android device. It will work exactly as if you downloaded it from the Google Play Store.
Making use of Kodi once you’ve installed it
Kodi is a powerful media player and it deserves its own dedicated guide. Quickly scanning, here are some of the worthy basics. After Kodi installation from the Google Play Store, you would want to add video files. Here are some steps to help you out:
- Go to Videos then select add-ons.
- Choose any of the add-ons that appeal to you.
- Download and install these add-ons.
- When they’re done installing, the new add-ons will appear in the add-on list.
- Run the add-ons and complete any login or setup they will ask for.
- Pick the add-on you want to use and enjoy.
That is only the start. There is so much more you can do. You can accomplish this by investing some time to research good Kodi guides.
Combining the Android TV Box and the Kodi will certainly open doors for more entertainment features. Such apps like YouTube and an Internet browser are readily available. But, we recommend Kodi for users with some technical knowledge. This is because it may be too complicated for the ordinary ones. But if you can understand Kodi, it could be very useful and as important, it is FREE.